Friday, December 12, 2008

How to Get a Job, Part III: The Setup

I freely admit that I'm a bastard.

Once I comb through the pile of resumes, I choose a few candidates that look the best / least worst and send out emails inviting the potential employees in for an interview.

I see every part of the interview process as a chance to glean just a little more information about candidates. When it comes down to it, most candidates have the same answers to formal questions, so I like to use bits that don't seem like formal questions. In this case, I give them the company name, but not an address.

A smart candidate will Google the company, find our address and write me back, "Is this the correct address?" A less promising candidate: "Send me your address." I like candidates that can find their own answers; I hate babysitting.

So much of IT is being able to answer questions for oneself.

No comments: