Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Not Yet, Young Grasshopper

If you haven't yet heard about Bing, Microsoft's new search engine, you soon will. The software giant plans to spend around $100 million dollars to make sure you do.

So...is it any good?

As I've said before, I view the search engine as a professional tool, not a plaything. I search dozens of times each day to help dissect the convoluted world of software engineering.

I needed to find out about integrating two software libraries I'm using, Google's GWT and Guice. I'll be honest: I went to Google first and got exactly the results I needed. As an added experiment, I went to Bing and tried the same query.

The result? When I typed in, "gwt guice," Bing decided that I really meant to search for "get guide." Not sure how that one works. I'm really not a fan of software that thinks it knows what I want better than myself.

Needless to say, I'm sticking with Google.

No comments: